This year, Bootlin missed the Embedded Linux Conference North America which took place late August in San Diego, US. It was the first time in many years that Bootlin was completely absent from an Embedded Linux Conference.
But the coming Embedded Linux Conference Europe is going to be different in that respect: Bootlin will once again have a strong presence at this event, which in 2019 takes in Bootlin’s home country, France, from October 28 to October 30. And this year, ELCE is not only in France, but more precisely in Lyon, the city where one of the 3 Bootlin offices is located, so for some of our engineers it will be a very local conference!
Of Bootlin staff, Michael Opdenacker, Alexandre Belloni, Grégory Clement, Kamel Bouhara, Miquèl Raynal, Maxime Chevallier, Paul Kocialkowski and Thomas Petazzoni will participate to the event. The schedule of the event, which also includes talks from the Open Source Summit and a number of co-located events, shows a nice selection of interesting talks.
As usual, we don’t limit our participation to just attending: we also give talks and tutorials. This year, the following proposals we made have been accepted:
- RTC subsystem, recent changes and where it is heading, from Alexandre Belloni, who is the maintainer of the RTC subsystem in the Linux kernel
- Offloading Network Traffic Classification to Hardware, from Maxime Chevallier, who has done extensive work on the Marvell PPv2 networking driver to add traffic classification offloading, leveraging some advanced capabilities of the hardware
- Integrating hardware-accelerated video decoding with the display stack, from Paul Kocialkowski, who has worked on hardware-accelerated video decoding as part of the crowd-funded effort to bring upstream Linux kernel support for the Allwinner VPU
- Buildroot: what’s new?, from Thomas Petazzoni, a traditional talk from one of the Buildroot co-maintainers, giving an update on the project and its progress
- Timing boot time reduction techniques, from Michael Opdenacker.
- Flash subsystems status update, from Miquèl Raynal and Richard Weinberger. Miquèl is a Bootlin engineer, maintainer of the NAND flash subsystem in Linux, and co-maintainer of the MTD subsystem. He will co-present with the other MTD co-maintainer Richard Weinberger an update on the MTD subsystem, its recent changes and future work.
- Introduction to Linux kernel driver programming (tutorial), from Michael Opdenacker. As part of the OSS Essentials track of tutorials (formerly named E-ALE), Michael will repeat this tutorial he has already given at previous ELC editions
- Introduction to the Buildroot embedded Linux build system (tutorial) from Thomas Petazzoni. Also a tutorial part of the OSS Essentials track, which we already gave at previous ELC editions
In addition to being present at the Embedded Linux Conference Europe, Bootlin will also be present:
- at the Buildroot Developers Meeting, which will take place on the 3 days before the conference, through to the participation of Buildroot co-maintainer Thomas Petazzoni
- at the Linux media summit, which will take place in parallel to the Embedded Linux Conference Europe. Bootlin engineer Paul Kocialkowski will be part of the attendees.