The Embedded Linux Conference is one of the most important events in the embedded Linux industry, and Bootlin has been participating to this event non-stop since its creation in 2007. So it should be no surprise that we will once again be participating to the 2018 edition of this conference, which will take place on October 22-24 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
In total, nine engineers from Bootlin (on a total headcount of 13!) will be attending: Alexandre Belloni, Antoine Ténart, Grégory Clement, Maxime Chevallier, Maxime Ripard, Michael Opdenacker, Miquèl Raynal, Quentin Schulz, Thomas Petazzoni.
Of course, we are not only attending, but also giving a number of talks and tutorials:
- Monday 22 October at 11:15, Maxime Ripard is giving a talk Supporting Hardware Codecs in a Linux system, in which he will explain how HW video decoders/encoders are supported in the Video4Linux kernel subsystem, and share his experience working on the Allwinner VPU support in Linux.
- Monday 22 October at 12:05, Antoine Ténart and Maxime Chevallier are giving a common talk Networking: From the Ethernet MAC to the Link Partner, in which they will demystify a number of acronyms and technologies used in networking hardware, and detail how Ethernet MAC and PHY are represented and managed in Linux.
- Tuesday 23 October at 12:20, Miquèl Raynal is giving a talk SPI Memory support in Linux and U-Boot, in which he will explain how SPI NAND and SPI NOR memories are supported.
- Thomas Petazzoni will be giving a tutorial as part of the Embedded Apprentice Linux Engineer track, titled Getting started with Buildroot. This tutorial has not been scheduled yet.
- Michael Opdenacker will also be giving a tutorial as part of the Embedded Apprentice Linux Engineer track, titled Introduction to Linux kernel driver programming. This tutorial has not been scheduled yet.
- We will have two demos at the Technical showcase: Alexandre Belloni will be demonstrating upstream Linux kernel support for Microsemi Ethernet switches, while Maxime Ripard will be demonstrating upstream Linux kernel support for HW accelerated video decoding on Allwinner platforms.
In addition, we will be participating to a number of co-located events:
- Thomas Petazzoni will participate to the Buildroot Developers Meeting, on October 20-21
- Maxime Ripard will participate to the Linux Media Summit, on October 25
- Maxime Chevallier will participate to the Real Time Summit, also on October 25
While Bootlin CEO Michael Opdenacker was in the Embedded Linux Conference Europe Program Commitee for a number of years, he’s been replaced this year by Bootlin CTO Thomas Petazzoni. Bootlin was thus involved in the daunting but very interesting task of reviewing and selecting the talks to compose the program of this year’s event.
This is going to be a very busy week for us, and we are looking forward to attending the great talks proposed by all other speakers, and meeting the embedded Linux community once again!