In the field of embedded systems, a number of applications need real-time guarantees, and the Linux ecosystem has been offering for a long time a number of solutions to address those needs, either by improving the Linux kernel itself using the PREEMPT_RT approach, or by using a co-kernel approach such as the one offered by Xenomai. Bootlin training’s portfolio already has an initial coverage of these topics in our Embedded Linux system development course.
Today, we are happy to announce a brand new Real-Time Linux with PREEMPT_RT, which is specifically focused on the PREEMPT_RT solution. This solution made a vast amount of progress in recent times in terms of integration into the official Linux kernel, which makes it even more relevant for a number of projects which need real-time guarantees.
The main topics covered by the course are:
- What is a real-time and deterministic operating system
- How to configure, build and setup a PREEMPT_RT enabled Linux kernel
- How to identify and benchmark the hardware platform in terms of real-time characteristics
- How to configure and tune the Linux kernel and the system for deterministic behavior
- How to develop and debug real-time user-space Linux applications as well as analyze latencies
The course is illustrated by practical labs or demonstrations made on the BeagleBone Black platform. It has been developed and is taught by Bootlin engineer Maxime Chevallier, who is an experienced embedded Linux and Linux kernel engineer and trainer.
As usual our training materials are fully open-source, including the ones for this brand new session. You can read the Slides and Practical lab instructions. Bootlin is one of the very few companies delivering training courses to make its training materials open-source: by choosing to work with Bootlin for your trainings, you support our work on developing and publishing freely available training materials.
If you’re interested in getting this new Real-Time Linux with PREEMPT_RT training course, you have three options:
- Public on-line sessions, opened to individual registration. The course lasts 3 sessions of 4 hours. We have scheduled a first session on January 19-21, 2022, and registration is open, for 399 EUR at the Early bird rate, of 449 EUR at the Regular rate.
- Dedicated on-line sessions, which we organize at the date/time of your choice. The course also lasts 3 sessions of 4 hours. Contact us to request a quote.
- Dedicated on-site sessions, where our trainer travels to your location to deliver the training course. In this case, the course lasts two full days. Contact us to request a quote.