This week has seen considerably less advancement than the ones before it due to bank holidays in France. Nevertheless, we managed to prepare and send V3 of the Sunxi-Cedrus Linux kernel driver on Monday. While this new version contains several incremental improvements, a number of tasks (described in the series’ cover letter) have yet to be completed before the driver can be merged in mainline Linux.
Maxime continued to work on the H264 support. The big part of the kernel has been done, and he then moved on to convert libva-dump to be able to dump also H264 buffers. Most of that part has been done as well, so the next item will be to convert cedrus-frame-test to be able to test H264 frames, and see where that takes us.
Paul kept working on DMABUF support, which is now refined and ready both on the kernel side and on the userspace side with cedrus-frame-test. There is now a single DMABUF handle used per buffer plane (instead of per-plane) which allows having all components of the frame displayed correctly. Because there is now as many buffers for display as there are for decoding, it is necessary to register framebuffers associated with each imported buffer and cycle the framebuffers in multi-buffering page-flipping. To tackle this, we have started implementing atomic modesetting in cedrus-frame-test, allowing to set the framebuffer to use per-plane.
Finally, some attention was given to the integration of our video decoding pipeline with the Mali GPU, especially to target Kodi support.
Stay tuned for our next update!